Alex's Bunny Hutch

Busy Weekend!

Posted on: June 12, 2007

Hi Everybody, it’s me, Alex!!

It seems like summer’s here to stay in southeast Texas. It’s been so hot that I thought I was going to melt! Nana and Poppa and CJ aren’t used to the heat and humidity, so I don’t think they’re having as much fun as they thought they would.

Oyster BoatsWe had a very, very busy weekend. After we getted home from the launch on Friday and me and CJ swimmed in the pool, we went to bed early. Me and Mommy and CJ went to the Habitat house and taked some pictures. We seed some oyster boats and some shrimp boats and some oil wells on the way there and back.

Then we picked up Nana and Poppa and we loaded up the car with some clothes and stuff to go to Galveston. We getted Whataburgers on the way and headed to Galveston. They are building a new bridge there and Mommy said that her seed on the news that they blowed up the old one. When we getted there, we could see the new Navy boat at the pier. There weren’t any cruise ships there and Mommy thought that was a little weird, but Poppa said the Navy prolly didn’t let them come in. We drived down to see where the fishing boats were and then we talked to the Navy people by the boat. Poppa seed a guy he was on the boat with before Mommy was borned. They talked for a while and this lady came and her said we should be there early because there was going to be lots of people there for the special ceremony. Mommy drived to the hotel by the Waffle House and we all changed to go back to the boat. Everybody looked really spiffy!!

USS Kidd Commissioning CeremonyThe boat ceremony was really cool!! They shooted off some cannons and all the sailors were there in their white uniforms. We heard some speeches from the Mayor and the Admiral of the Fleet and some other guys, and they had Poppa and all the guys who had served on the USS Kidd before stand up, and then the Commanding Officer (they don’t call him the Captain anymore) read his orders and some guy blowed his whistle and the n the Commanding Officer telled the sailors to get on the boat. They all kind of jogged up there and getted on the boat and lined up on the deck. They had to stand at attention a lot. Then the Captain guy telled them to bring the boat to life and I thought there was a dragon or a monster in there!! There was smoke coming out and they blowed the ship’s horn and I getted really scared!! Then everybody cheered and Poppa said it was okay, there wasn’t a monster in there.

After that was all over, we getted in the car and drove back down the beach to find some ice cream. We goed to Baskin Robbins and me and CJ had some cool blue & white ice cream that was called Splish Splash. It was really good!! Then we goed back to the hotel room and went to bed. I don’t think anybody sleeped very good. We all getted up just before 6 o’clock and getted ready to go on the fishing boat. While we were driving there, Mommy noticed that the cruise ships were by the Navy boat.

We getted to the fishing boat a little after 7:00 and Nana buyed a box of frozen sardines to fish with. I asked Nana if her was having them for lunch. Her said I was a silly bunny!! We getted on the boat with a bunch of other people and headed out into the bay. The boat captain parked the boat out by a jetty and we started fishing. They gived us some chopped up squids to use for bait. That was sooooo yucky!! Mommy putted some squids on our line and Nana was using the sardines. Mommy won’t put sardines on her line so Nana had to do that for her sometimes. Me and Mommy catched two baby sharks and a couple of these yucky catfish things. CJ catched a gafttopsail fish and so did Nana. Poor Poppa didn’t catch anything. There was these other guys on the boat that were catching sharks. Big ones!!! They bringed them on the boat and it was scary!! The deck hands pick them up by the tail and smack their heads on the boat floor to knock them out and then put them in the ice chest. When we were done fishing, the deck hand guys hanged up the sharks on the front of the boat. We didn’t like that.

When we got off the boat we all smelled like fish guts so we changed clothes and went over to the Navy boat again. Because Poppa had been a sailor on the old Kidd boat, they tooked us on a special tour. The guy that taked us on the tour was pretty young and he was called Strike but that wasn’t his name. I don’t remember why they called him the Strike, but it had something to do with missiles. They gots plasma TVs in their lunch room! Poppa said he never getted an espresso machine or ice cream or movies on his boat! Him taked us all over the boat – on the top deck, out by the foc’sle and to my favorite part, the bridge. I couldn’t sit in the Commanding Officer’s chair, though. We all really enjoyed our tour, especially Poppa. After that we getted lunch at Joe’s Crab Shack.

When we getted done with lunch we goed to the beach to look for shells. We found some cool ones, and CJ finded the shells from some crabs. When we getted back to the car, it really stinked bad!! On the way home, Mommy dropped off CJs film and we eated at Luby’s. Mommy didn’t want to because her said her stinked and needed a shower really bad!! We getted back to the car and we all almost passed out because it smelled so bad in there. We were all very tired when we getted home. Mommy and Nana washed the smelly clothes and everybody taked showers and we went to bed early. I was so pooped out I went right to sleep and didn’t move all night long, not even to roll over. That means I had lots of fun!!

Love, Alex


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Twitter Updates

Flickr Photos

%d bloggers like this: